Romeo and Juliet, 4000 BC

I started out on Google at 3:00 pm today for some information on emulsions, and at 3:20 pm I was looking at this. I felt vaguely strange.

Picture courtesy: CNET News.com

Archaeologists have unearthed two skeletons from the Neolithic period (5000-6000 years ago) locked in an “eternal embrace” and buried outside Mantua, Italy, about 25 miles south of Verona. Sounds familiar? It’s the same city where Shakespeare set the tale of Romeo and Juliet. Here’s the bigger catch – In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo is sent to Mantua for killing Capulet in a sword fight. Romeo then leaves the city and returns to Verona when he hears that Juliet has died.

It was found at the site where a factory is planned and many have speculated on the circumstances this goosebumps-giving spectacle. Flint tools, including arrowheads and a knife, were also found alongside the couple. Their teeth being intact, it is thought that the couple died young.

They are face to face and their arms and legs are entwined and they are really hugging.

When I was reading through the user comments on the related news pieces, almost everybody had the same thing to say – of not to disturb them from their grave. Unfortunately, it has already been done.

Doomed love?

Other sources of information:
BBC News
Dailymail.co.uk
CNET News.com

1. Left brain, right brain and optical illusions
  3. Handi(CAP)able
  4. Whatsisname
  5. Take that picture again!

Filed under My favorites, Noticed

Comments

6 Responses to “Romeo and Juliet, 4000 BC”
  1. Ankur says:

i would prefer to believe that the guy dug up the grave of his lover and died with it

2. Amrita says:

more like nosey parkers strike again!

It’s chillingly disturbing. I love your blog for the simple reason that it brings me to notice SO, SO many different things all around.

@Ankur – In that case, who buried the guy? 😛

@Amrita – Well, let’s hope Ms. Nosey gets a parking ticket. 🙂

@Deepika – Yeah I know – it is indeed quite disturbing…
    You know, I summed up (quite horribly) all my emotions into two words “vaguely strange”. I wish I could emote like you do in your posts! 🙂

5. Nikhil says:

talking about interesting archaeological finds,
    check out: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/12/green_sahara.html

This is about some remains excavated at the Sahara desert that date back ~9000 years ago, when it was not so much a desert that it remains today…

If you were awestruck at seeing the photo in your blog, then be prepared for oohs and OMGs!

(Btw, just in case you did not know, ‘The Big Picture’ is a very popular photo blog – consisting of a compilation of photographs from photographers around the world, each better than the other. I would recommend you subscribing to it, both for the topics it covers, and w/o doubt for the quality of photos. Please excuse for the longish comment :))

Thanks for the link, Nikhil! It sure is very captivating… so is ‘The Big Picture’. It sure takes away a LOT of productive time out of one’s schedule! Yeah these Green Sahara ones were terrific! The one with the finger in the mouth really disturbed me!!!