Too much too fast

There are way too many electronic devices in the world. Way way way way too many. And the fact they are out with a new model with incremental advantage by the time you open all the bubble wrap. The biggest regrets are accompanied with laptops, desktop computers, digital cameras and *some* Apple products. I mean, I just bought it – you are out with a new model already? And slashed the price of my model too! Come on!

My complaint, however, is not with that exactly. I want to run a comparison with the early 90s and before. When a person used to buy something, be it a car or even a radio, the love for it used to be eternal. The affection one had for his or her electronic item was possessive and beautiful. There was no competition for years to come and one did not get envious of a friend buying a better one…

Let me take an example where I myself am involved. Way back in 1996, I was gifted a Sony Walkman. Oh man I loved it! I used to wipe it regularly, used smart battery practices and used it frequently. ALL THE WAY TILL 2002. So that lasted over 6 yeras. After which cassettes went obsolete and CDs came in. My brother gave me my first portable CD player and that stayed with me till 2007 (5 years later), when I bought my iPod Touch. Three months after my purchasing it, Apple released its 2nd generation iPod Touch which is better than mine in so many ways… but the advantages of the second model are fairly incremental in nature and one can do without them. But still, it is marketed in such a way that it is absolutely essential to have that update, because you are going to reach happiness much faster.

My point is, electronic items are increasingly becoming disposable. With huge numbers already being produced at this time, product life in the market has been reduced to a few blinks of the eye. Can anyone else see things spiraling out of control? What can we expect in 2020? What kind of choices will our next generation be presented with?

Some food for thought. (In retrospect, most of the graph also holds *somewhat* true for boyfriends/girlfriends :P)

Your love for electronicsLove thy gadget
[Left click for better viewing]

1. How long will newspapers live?
  2. I am more equal than you are
  3. Hiccups
  4. We should all hibernate
  5. Wait… what?!

Comments

12 Responses to “Too much too fast”

This has been a matter of concern for me too and I guess everybody who’s a gadget freak. These days products are made with very less lifetime and that’s the reason I think companies release a new model too soon. So I just stopped bothering myself no matter how latest my friend’s gadget is. When I decide to buy something I see if it matches my requirements and go for it. That’s what matters and never should anyone go for price-drops coz they are like a bait, a drop in pirce always means they are using some cheap material which Ads don’t talk about.

2. RukmaniRam says:

totlly love the x-axis on the plot. even funnier than the plot itself!

3. iswarya says:

ha ha ha.. extremely hilarious 2-d(as usual!!).. good one. .totally enjoyed the graph..

Lol! Interesting 2D as ever. And gadget love is completely ephemeral. πŸ™‚

@rads
    Yeah Radhika, I suppose that is the only way you avoid the markets fooling you!

@RukmaniRam
    Thank you! I love it that you love it!

@iswarya
    Thank you Iswarya!

@Kadambari
    Oh yes. Ephemeral is the right word. For some reason, I was not getting it and the only word coming to my head was evanescent, which is not quite the right word! Thanks for commenting! πŸ™‚

6. Reva says:

πŸ™ me has a PDA that is connected to the phone which is connected to the car GPS which syncs with the Laptop!! πŸ˜€

@Reva
    Wow! That’s hi-tech, Reva! πŸ˜› Do you work for the CIA? No wait, you have a sense of humor. You cannot be working for the CIA.

HAHA, love the 2D! It is so totally applicable to the way some people handle relationships too. You’re 2D’s are hilarious & so apt. πŸ™‚

I just got back from my vacation, and I know what you mean about all the crazy electronics that keep developing. Though sometimes its hard to not fall for some of things..a la the Ipod Touch. I love it. But now that I bought the Itouch, I do kinda wish I bought the Iphone instead. Haha, this is how the cycle works, each new gadget leads to the temptation of wanting another.

@Archana
    Look who’s back! I am glad you liked the 2D! Yes, the love/relationship thing kind of panned out as I was creating it for electronics only. It was like a revelation of sorts!
    I know about the iPod touch – it’s wa-wa-awesome! I wish I had waited for Generation 2.0 before I bought it though. I could have done with an external volume control πŸ˜€ Nevertheless, it’s my favorite thing during meetings and seminars when I am get REALLY bored! Thank Steve Jobs for putting wi-fi on that thing!
    But what you said about the cycle is very accurate! Except that it’s not a cycle – you pretty much never get back to what you owned previously, cause they serve as paperweight!

@Kokonad
    Yes, I’m baaack from a pretty long vacation. Late nights, early starts and lots of lots of events to attend – – fun, but tiring, lol. Back in one piece nonetheless. πŸ™‚

And you’re right, it’s not really a cycle, it’s your 2D, haha. I’m not too into techy things though, though I am a sucker for trendy technology – – but aren’t we all a little guilty of that? πŸ˜› I can bet most people if they were given money to buy an mp3 player would opt for an iPod versus any other brand.

@Archana
    Ha ha ha! Yes, we are ALL a little guilty of that. And about the iPod, that’s partly because Steve Jobs does a great job! I ‘heart’ Apple. Big time! My next laptop is going to be a MacBook. When I need one, and when I can afford one! I am kind of waiting for their tablet edition. It will be much easier to draw stuff on that, though nothing quite beats drawing in the last pages of school and college notebooks. πŸ˜€

12. gmenon says:

Oh! How I hate this gadget (rat?) race. Why can’t stuff be simple. Instead of trying the kitchen sink approach? Like when mobile phones did nothing but calls and SMS (text messages). Or music players played music.

I did love my first Walkman. Until it died. When taken in for service, the repair dude opened it and found a dead fly inside!!! I kid you not. His comment “bas kaise chalegi jab driver mar gaya” (EN: how can the bus run when the driver’s dead) was apt.

And would you believe my family VCR went thru 4 head changes in 15 months. The service point couldn’t understand how quickly the object went kaput. Which was good for the wallet: replacements 3 & 4 were free. I didn’t share that the machine would run 18-20 hrs on weekends while en familie immersed themselves in movies and Beeb TV serials. We only stopped for when the VCR stopped due to over-heating.
    gmenonΒ΄s latest post – Google Docs used for Phishing