As I grew up…

… I have wanted to be several people (or have jobs) at different points in my life (in rough chronological order) –

My brother, because he went to school that lasted a full day instead of mine, which was only a half day.
A train engine driver, because I loved traveling by train and I thought it was the best job ever.
A teacher, so I could keep assigning homework and grade assignments with a red pen.
A car manufacturer, because he didn’t have to study and take exams.
My dad, because he knew everything and also had money.
A ship captain, because water fascinated me.
A film hero, because everyone was happy with him at the end of things.
A pet, preferably a dog, because they are amazing animals and everyone loved/feared them.
A person who sets question papers during tests and exams.
A doctor, because I loved the cleanliness and silence in their offices.
A pilot. Who hasn’t wanted to be one?
A bakery owner, because I loved baked cookies.
A grade 6 student, because it was at a different school and I thought was a whole different level of maturity.
A sprint runner, because in those days, I used to run pretty fast.
The president.
A singer, because every likes a singer at a party (I cannot sing to save my life)
An economist, because for some reason, it was hip to know stuff like that when I was 15.
A computer scientist, because I was realizing what a geek I was.
An advertisement designer, because I thought it would be a cool job.
An engineer. I don’t know why.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Feel free to take this up as a tag. πŸ™‚
Long ago in 2006, I had written this post – Blink – out of boredom. You can take it up as a tag too. It will be better if you read my post after you do the tag – time yourself for 5 minutes, and write a list of whatever object/phenomena comes to your mind. Be crisp. You will be surprised to know what all you can come up with!

PS: I have been away and really busy – and I am yet to catch up with so many wonderfully written blogs (over 100 unread items in my Google Reader). I am grateful to those who have expressed that they have missed activity on my blog! Thank you so much – it feels great to be missed. In other news, an old sports injury has aggravated severely and rendered me almost immobile and somewhat high because of all the pain killers. Also I met my nephew Jishnu over the weekend and loved all of it immensely. He turned three recently, and loves laughing while looking at the camera!

2. Meh.
  3. Wah… Tag boliye!
  4. We should all hibernate
  5. Who moved my crease?

Filed under Musings, Thoughts in 2D

Comments

28 Responses to “As I grew up…”
  1. DC says:

Loved this one.

I did notice that you had poofed off the face of this ‘blog world’. Glad you’re back & hope you’re recovering well without having to take too many pain killers! Feeling better & being high off of life is such a better alternative. πŸ™‚

On to your post, love it. All your posts (& 2Ds) make for such good reads! And this one is just fantastic. Love the wanting to be a bakery owner one, that’s adorable. You must really have a sweet tooth! You’re so right about how as kids we imagine ourselves in countless different jobs. I know some of mine were being an Ice cream taster (guess I wasn’t thinking about fat/calorie intake then, lol), Singapore Airline Flight Stewardess (I was in awe of their picture-perfect smiles, pristine hair & make-up and their outfits), Vet (then I realized they don’t only treat dogs & that there are many other types of pets out there aka lizards, ew), Pediatrician (for kids – the kind that gives them lollipops if they’re good kids :P), and the most out there one, to be an Nsync Back Up Dancer. Um..yeah, that clearly was a teeny-infused stage. Lol.

Btw, I think I should start another blog that’s more personal (heh instead of writing a whole blog instead of a comment at others blogs! lol). Something that I can post more frequently in, you know random thoughts, etc. Been thinking about it. Cause I want to keep ‘Over a Cup of Cafe’ strictly about vectors, but I’d love to have a place to just blog about anything & everything.

3. Neelima says:

thats a nice list! most of it were on my list too..
    But the most weird one on my list would be “A Conductor!!” πŸ˜€

Sorry about you’re injury…take care..and as for the tag sounds interesting …I’ll take it up and post it on my blog as soon as possible…

OH!I had no clue that you had an injury πŸ™
    glad to see you back though πŸ™‚

WHy? πŸ˜€ you loved school? πŸ˜€
    *sigh* I wanted to be in my bro’s age coz he used to have a half day as opposed to my full day πŸ˜€

awww…me too πŸ˜€ dont all kids dream such cute dreams?

LOL!!!! yeah the red pen was the charm! πŸ˜‰ I used to pretend too and then I became one πŸ˜€

A car manufacturer, because he didn’t have to study and take exams.

wah!very different dreams you had I have to say πŸ˜€

Henry ford in the making eh? πŸ˜€

My dad, because he knew everything and also had money.
    πŸ˜† Uncle must have been so flattered πŸ˜€

A ship captain, because water fascinated me.
    AH! captain of a ship! what could be more glorious for a kid? πŸ˜€

A film hero, because everyone was happy with him at the end of things.
    Kokonad you were a precocious child I think πŸ˜€

I wanted to have a pet …wanting to be a pet never entered my mind πŸ˜€

A person who sets question papers during tests and exams.
    a teacher again? πŸ˜€
    coz thats what they are usually

A doctor, because I loved the cleanliness and silence in their offices.

yeah me too πŸ˜€

A pilot. Who hasn’t wanted to be one?
    absolutely!!all lil kiddies!

A bakery owner, because I loved baked cookies.

you sure were one imaginative kid πŸ˜€

ah!wanting to grow up quickly and then realizing now that its all a waste πŸ˜€

A sprint runner, because in those days, I used to run pretty fast.

fast? from someone? πŸ˜†

The president.
    whoa!!!huge dreams πŸ˜€

moi too πŸ˜€

it still is hip πŸ˜‰

A computer scientist, because I was realizing what a geek I was.
    LOL!!sho cute πŸ˜€

An advertisement designer, because I thought it would be a cool job.
    it is it is! πŸ˜€
    An engineer. I don’t know why.

umm πŸ˜€ dunno?

SO the question that Indyeah has is πŸ˜€ what are you now?:D
    and I dont mean just professionally but even as a hobby..
    matlab singer/painter artist what?

the graph is nice πŸ˜€ as always πŸ˜€

take care of that injury πŸ™‚
    god bless!

uh oh…sorry about the injury. Hope it’s not too bad now! What’s worse than to be immobile in the sunny summer months? Really nice post and keep updating about your whereabouts!

8. Sriram says:

thats a good one mate!

take care and recover soon!

LOL! And I mostly wanted to be someone who has nothing to do.. except for lazing around! πŸ˜€

You take care!

things I want u to become (dont tell me again y u wont:)
    1. A Photographer (anyone who has seen your photo blog will agree with me )
    2. A wedding planner…hmm actually an event planner

loved the blog, felt nice to sit n think back what all I wanted to become πŸ™‚

11. Slash\\ says:

FINALLY. A graph that more saliently (tangentially too) represents what I was trying to say here:

Thank you. I think I’ll tag this chart to that post.

12. adisha says:

I couldn’t take this up as a tag since I never really Knew what I wanted to become , except carefree maybe …

Oh yeah, once I wanted to be come a rikshaw driver, when I was younger since it has 3 wheels is so compact… :)) Don’t laugh , must have been 8, 9 then …

hehehe… nice one

13. Reva says:

hey i also love smiling in front of the camera..does that make me young:P Injury? Oh Oh!! what were you playing….with? πŸ˜‰

I always wanted to hang up my heels and live off dad’s money πŸ™‚

#DC:
    Thanks DC! πŸ™‚

NSync back up dancer? Heh heh! πŸ™‚ You know, you don’t have to have two different blogs – you could very well make OACOC your basic blog! I just realized your blog abbreviates to an anagram of Cocoa.
    The reason I say is, it is really tiresome maintaining two blogs – I have trouble keeping up with this one AND my photoblog! And at the end of the day, you set your own rules! So what if all posts so far have been of vector art?
    I have often thought of maintaining different blogs showcasing just my 2Ds and doodles – nyaah, too much work! I realized I can have one central roof for all creative graduates, right? The photoblog requires a different display structure, so I had to keep it different.

#Neelima:
    Thanks Neelima! A conductor, really? πŸ™‚

#rads:
    Thanks, and i will take care of my injury. Looking forward to your post! πŸ™‚

#Indyeah ji:
    Thank you thank you thank you! Itna pyaara sa comment – it’s like you had something to say about everything I wrote! I will reply to each of what you have written!
    – I didn’t love school per se, but I thought people grow up once school goes from half day to full day. It was like you are no longer a kid at that time!
    – About being a teacher and an exam paper maker, I used to feel horrible to see points deducted from what I wrote. I wanted authority over that and over students’ behavior, so had thought numerous times of becoming a teacher! I know… there was nothing altruistic about it!
    – I am sure Henry Ford stirred in his grave when you compared my wanting to be a car mechanic to him! Ha ha ha ha!
    – I might be the only kid who wanted to BE a pet and not HAVE a pet. Another thing was that pets never had to study, which I had to! But they always got to eat, which I loved to!
    – Bakery owner was my favorite in this list too! Ha ha ha! πŸ™‚
    – I realize how it’s all a waste after growing up! πŸ™‚ I got a 2D idea with what you said: it will be coming up soon!
    – Running from someone? Heh heh, no. I was too young to have my heart set on someone πŸ˜›
    – About being an economist, people around me at that time (in my mid-teens) were all wanting to be CAs and were raving on about how cool our school economics teacher was… it was almost like peer pressure to want to be an economist., heh heh!
    – Wanting a computer scientist was “sho cute”? Heh heh… I know so many guys who are computer scientists who will feel simply great on hearing that from a lady! It’s not like they receive a compliment as this on a daily basis… it might very well be their highest point this year! πŸ˜€
    Coming to your question, I am pursuing a PhD in chemical engineering, and I love doing a little of everything… photography, traveling, cartooning, fixing and making things… snippets of the first three you will see both in my blog and photoblog. πŸ™‚ Thanks for asking, and I am looking forward to the rest of your interview with BlogAdda!

#Deepika:
    I know! It totally sucks… I have a trip planned to Smoky’s next weekend and I have to strike out ‘scaling the mountains’ from my to-do list. Sigh πŸ™

#Sriram:
    Thanks Sriram! πŸ™‚

#Kadambari:
    Yeah that was there too – I remember asking my dad if someone ever got paid for doing nothing but lazing around for the rest of his/her life. He said there was no such thing. Heh heh πŸ˜›
    Thanks for the compliments and wishes!

#Debleena:
    Debleena… I am OK with a tag of event planner, but not wedding planner. No no, no no, no no no no. πŸ™‚ I am glad you liked the post! πŸ™‚

#Slash\\:
    Dropped by your blog, loved the post, subscribed to your blog and you are welcome to tag my chart to your post too! Welcome to my blog! πŸ™‚

#adisha:
    I am sorry… but you have me laughing heartily here! Rickshaw driver? Heh heh heh heh! As in the autowaalah or the manual one? Since you used ‘driver’ I am assuming the first… and my autorickshaw post is coming back to me all over again! πŸ˜€

#Reva:
    Funny you would mention heels πŸ˜› because it’s my ankle that’s injured! And yes, smiling at the camera does make you young! More so if you start giggling loudly at the camera once you are told to look at the camera and go “hee hee”. (He does exactly that and it totally cracks me up!)

You’re one smart cookie, I never even noticed the anagram. πŸ™‚ And I love cocoa, it’s a beautiful thing. Haha, what would the world be without chocolate??

So regarding the new blog, I started one! I know, I could have started having mixed posts at OACOC, but I want to keep that strictly art-based, just in case I ever convert it into a portfolio if & when I decide to charge. πŸ˜‰ Kind of like an open art gallery. And you do raise a good point about it being hard to maintain two blogs – but I keep my blogs pretty minimal, not too much maintenance outside of comments. So stop by, and let me know what you think por favor. : )

I agree, what would the world be without chocolate! πŸ™‚ Actually you do have a point about the portfolio…! And I suppose it is much more difficult to maintain self hosted websites (aah, sometimes you have to worry about so many things!) I did stop by your blog – and totally loved it! Looking forward to seeing how your creativity unfurls in non-vectorized situations πŸ˜€

#Grayquill:
      Welcome to my blog, sir! And thank you for the lovely compliments! I loved your blog too, and you now have a new subscriber πŸ™‚

#Choco:
      Thank you, thank you! I am glad I piqued your interest!

16. Grayquill says:

You certainly are ambitious, I will give you that.
    I found your post interesting.

17. Choco says:

This was an awesome post! You seem to have written such interesting stuff. Will have to read every now & then! πŸ™‚

Didn’t notice that you weren’t around. Hope you get all hale and hearty soon.
    Cheers!

18. So which one of these are you now? πŸ™‚

#Julia:
      The last one… (deep sigh). It HAS to be the MOST BORING job in the world. And as if that was not enough, I am pursuing a PhD in it. (deeper sigh) πŸ™‚

19. Oh my God. I have been contemplating an MT. Tech at the IITs since 2 years now. I keep giving up on it.

20. kaushik says:

“A pet, preferably a dog, because they are amazing animals and everyone loved/feared them”

Read Agastya Sen’s essay on “why he wanted to be a dog” in the book English August, and he has far more funnier reasons to be so πŸ™‚

Nice blog!

Cheers!
    Kasuhik

PS At some point I wanted to be a Engine Driver too…
    kaushikΒ΄s latest post – Fear

#Julia Scissor:
    Do it do it! Get done with it! I am 25 and still studying (pursuing a PhD) and I am SO BORED. I want to get done with it to get a real job! πŸ™‚
    Btw, aren’t you a lawyer? What degrees do the IITs offer in law?

#Kaushik:
    Thanks for the tip, Kaushik! I am definitely intrigued by the book! I loved your blog too, and you now have a new subscriber. πŸ™‚

22. Nope, I’m an engineer. I was involved in a legal wrangle as part of a student movement. I’m with a local student body but its not an official position.

Julia: Oooh… that could have been a pain in the neck… is it over?

24. Yes, it was over about 2 and half months back. Btw, how’s your injury now?

#Julia:
    Thanks for asking! πŸ™‚
    It’s not great… have tests and follow-up appointments for the next couple of weeks – I am really hoping they figure out what’s going on!

26. chelli says:

wanted to be a mathematician while at school. but failed hopelessly.