In search of a new name

Late last night I thought I should change the name of my blog. No no, I absolutely adore the name “Mostly Pointless“, but this is what happened. In the ongoing efforts for gathering donations to the relief work for Cyclone Aila, my blog comes up in the top 5 results whenever someone searches for the cyclone relief work. But thanks to the name of my blog, it appears as this:

Search Results

Now it appears as if the cyclone Aila relief work is mostly pointless. I know, it’s laughable! But I felt bad. After all, I am an advocate of the contrary.

Anyway, it drove me to change the name of my blog to ‘Logophilia‘ – meaning love of words and word games – and it was like that for less than 24 hours. Because it was not the same as Mostly Pointless. Over the years (since 2006) I have grown to love the name ‘Mostly Pointless’ so much that Logophilia, though a beautiful word, didn’t have that zing. Mostly Pointless stays.

1. Aila cyclone relief widget
  2. Cyclone Aila Relief work
  3. Etcetera
  4. Left brain, right brain and optical illusions

Filed under *Sigh*

Comments

16 Responses to “In search of a new name”

I agree, Mostly Pointless has something charming about it. On a side note though, the Google search is definitely funny – a weird play on words, but I’m sure if anyone chooses to click in they’ll realize otherwise. πŸ™‚

ArchanaΒ΄s latest blog post – Barbie Loves MAC

LOL that really looks funny..

radsΒ΄s latest blog post – Memoirs of a Geisha

I know! There is something about Mostly Pointless that is Mostly Charming too…! And that is indeed a weird play on words, I hope they don’t jump into a conclusion before hitting the search result! πŸ™

#Rads:
    πŸ˜€ Yeah! I laughed and felt bad at the same time – it is VERY VERY weird feeling.

4. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ google search was really funny.. And I too adore ur name -“Mostly Pointless” Though u’ve lots of posts making points , like ur posts with 2-D graphics which made me ur fan πŸ™‚

Preposterous girlΒ΄s latest blog post – YOUTH- a boon or a bane??

#PrepGirl:
    Thank you, thank you! πŸ™‚ Looks like this blog is stuck with the name I gave it way back in 2006. Forever.

good!….:)…

Though I am late here but I am glad that Mostly Pointless stays πŸ˜€
    Mostly Pointless is more you πŸ˜€ in a good way πŸ˜€

I so understand what you are saying coz my blogname is Consider Ir Crashed..(as if I am willing for things to crash:D )

but I love this name of your blog πŸ™‚
    very quirky name to have Kokonad πŸ˜€

#Indyeahji
    Thank you Indyeah ji! πŸ™‚ Mostly Pointless it is going to stay.
    Coming to think of it, “Consider it crashed” can generate funny results too! Imagine…
    Microsoft releases new OS | Consider it crashed
    or…
    New skyscraper in Mumbai | Consider it crashed

Heh heh… πŸ™‚
    Thank you for the compliments yet again, Indyeah ji! And congrats for the BlogAdda thing! It was a great read!

9. Choco says:

Ahh. I had put up this widget, removed it when revamping stuff and then forgot all about it (Blush)

Will put it right back up. But Oh My! That search result is hilarious in a not laughable kind of way! πŸ˜€

#Choco:
      Aah, no problems… it is at the lag end of donations now… it’s only a matter of time when donations will eventually stop! But I truly appreciate your putting up the widget, Choco!
      And yeah, that result IS hilarious! I would feel awful if someone actually turned away from the Google result after seeing it!

10. K. says:

“Mostly Pointless” is an awesome name! I would keep that…I also like the word logophilia, as I am a logophile myself, but it is not quite cute enough for a blog…
    just my two cents…:)

#K:
      Welcome to my blog, K! And thanks for commenting too! πŸ™‚ Incidentally I had started subscribing to your blog a couple of days back already! Talk of coincidences!
      I agree, ‘logophilia’ lacks a punch… Hope to see you more often, K!

11. Megha says:

LOL….I even liked the mumble mumble πŸ™‚
    MeghaΒ΄s latest post – The vending machine

12. Mostly Pointless is a better name…. than logophilia!

Destination Infinity
    Destination InfinityΒ΄s latest post – General Theory of Beauty

Thank you, DI! πŸ™‚ I like the word logophilia, but it is not very ‘bloggy’