Running away

ForestsMany a time in the past year I have thought of running away. To the rain forests of the Nile or the Amazon. To forests where there are no luxuries, no money issues, no artificial medicines, no materialistic pleasures – just live life to live, not exist. I want to take nothing with me – no electronics, no special clothes, no mechanical devices – absolutely nothing. I want to tell stories, tell tales that will become legendary, meet legends, follow the roots of myths… I want to live life the way early man used to. My daily challenge should be to get through the day alive – to catch prey and not get caught as prey – but not waking up at 7:00 AM so as to catch the 8:00 AM bus.

But then I like to eat. May be I will carry a frying pan and oil with me. And spices. And aluminum foil to store the food. A shelf to store the aluminum foil. Uhmm, may be a house of wood to keep the shelf in. A box of tools to go by. And a sharpening kit. Cannot afford them to rust, so I should probably get a nice tin roof to keep the water away from my home.ย  I need to keep animals away too, and fire may not be sufficient always. I probably need flash lights to look for stuff in the dark. But I cannot have a lifetime’s supply of batteries – I will need a charger – an electrical source. May be it is a wise idea to get a generator too. I need to get gas/diesel for the generator – so I need to be near a city so it is easy for me to get it. Oh and what if I fall ill? I will need medication too – I may not know what herbs are safe and non-poisonous – and also which ones have healing powers. Again, I will need medicinal supplies whenever the current stock expires. It will be useful to have conveyance to make frequent trips – may be a small vehicle. Actually I will probably not make frequent trips – so it will be good if I can bring lots of things at once – so a bigger car – may be a pickup truck will help. And I will need money to buy a-

Oh.

Damn. I am back where I am now.

Photograph © Kokonad Sinha

1. My Utopia

Filed under Musings

Comments

38 Responses to “Running away”
  1. I have always wanted to run away to RAIN FORESTS ONLY. If you see the random thing list, I just love rain and rain supple green trees, green water everything green. But at times I feel that its irrational so I just want to go to some city where people just wont know me. Its not an escapee’s cynic thought but then its called breaking the habit. But I know for sure, if Im stuck without internet laptop and all the things in my bedroom. Im going to totally die. Nice post !!!!
    Delphian Oracleยดs latest post – A university just declared the number of…

I wanted to run away too, but to a paradise land where i’ll not be missing the benefits of a city life and yet looks nothing like the mad rush with heavy traffic n busy people we see in the city lives.

3. Shreyasee says:

Dada, super post ๐Ÿ˜€ I swear…We went camping and we ended up buying entire walmart…but lighting the fire was fun ๐Ÿ˜€

We should so do a primitive camping thing, hmm primitive in whatever sense ๐Ÿ˜›

4. Slash\\ says:

Eh. Are we operating in the same quadrant? This is the second one this week, have a look…

(No I am not trying to spam your comments sections with blatant self plug-ins. But couldn’t resist this one. In all probability, you’ve been through this anyways)

Best luck with the pickup truck

You forgot to mention your camera… :-O How could you… ???
    Roshmiยดs latest post – Spread the Smiles… !!!

6. Nikita says:

lol….listen, while u’re at it, take along a girl too. u dnt wanna keep frequenting the town to hunt for human company ๐Ÿ˜›
    n yes, how cud u forget ur camera?? huh!

7. Choco says:

I have wished for the simple life at times. Btw don’t you need music, internet, telephone etc? Think about it… ๐Ÿ™‚

8. adisha says:

You are soooo funny …. agree with Nikita , you forgot your camera :p

But I tell you, I feel so scared of camping out ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hubby wants me to go with him next month for 2 days and I’m already freaking out about it :p All the best for ur run away from the city , into a fully functioning cabin …

9. tangerine says:

I have been trying to run away too!! but I m just planning to skip town. Can’t give up d good things in life, u see!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. lol. how true is that. the last time i travelled by train because i wanted to go back to the simpler times. and i ended up carrying my laptop, charger, data card, camera, mobile, mobile charger, Ipod, Ipod charger…all in my small bag, for an overnight train journey. i was aghast at myself.

11. TW says:

LOL.. you know you can start with a week :)))

#Delphian Oracle:
      Looks like cellphones, laptops and the internet are things people cannot live without! Escaping to a city is something I have thought about too, several times, may be a different continent to start life afresh… ๐Ÿ™‚

#rads:
      Heh heh, looks like no one wants to leave luxuries ๐Ÿ™‚

#Shreyasee:
      Thanks Titir! Heh heh, buying the whole of walmart eh? ๐Ÿ˜› Once you go primitive… and apply conditions to that, you are looking at early man with wifi a swanky Macbook pro!

#Slash\\:
      That is a freakin’ coincidence man! ๐Ÿ˜€ Plug-in all you want, slash! In fact, I encourage it! See that checkbox next to “Append my latest blog post as signature” thing down below the comment box, that thing does a cool thing! Try it the next time you comment ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh man! But if I need camera, I am opening up a plethora of requirements! Electrical charge point, computers – and I am going classic like film, I need printers, ink GAAAAH! ๐Ÿ˜€

#Nikita:
      LOL! A girl? Ha ha ha ha ha! Sorry about the camera, though! USB cable and computers need to come along with it! Which is kind of what I am trying to avoid! ๐Ÿ˜›

#Choco:
      No no, I WANT music, internet, telephone. Needing it is a wholly different issue. ๐Ÿ˜›

#adisha:
      Thank you Adisha! ๐Ÿ™‚
      Don’t freak out about it! It’s quite a lot of fun, cooking over an open fire – adds to a great experience. I am off to the Smokys for the long weekend coming up. Really looking forward to it. ๐Ÿ™‚ With my laptop and phone and internet and camera and all ๐Ÿ˜›

#tangerine:
      I know I know! You want to have your cake and eat it too ๐Ÿ˜›

#agentgreenglass:
      Heh heh… I know! The cables and adapters totally kill you… and then when you forget to take one of them, you are cursing yourself as to why you forgot them. And if you do manage to carry all that, you realize you have forgotten to carry extra underwear. Sigh. Aghast is the accurate word, yes. ๐Ÿ˜€

#TW:
      Heh heh! ๐Ÿ˜€ OK… so you are telling me to start with small steps? I can do that! ๐Ÿ˜› Thanks for commenting!

12. Dreamcatcher says:

This sets me off on a whole new train of thought as to where I want to run away to.
    The sea, for instance.

#DC:
      The sea, eh? ๐Ÿ˜€ Sounds fun! I would love to run away to the beach too! All the water, all the scuba diving!

#AJCL:
      Welcome to my blog AJCL! And thank you for commenting! I loved your blog too and I have subscribed to it ๐Ÿ™‚ All of Chotu’s posts are so funny!

13. ajcl says:

to live life- not to exist..profound- nice write up and nice blog

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

#Debleena:
      I am the only one who knows that that “hmmm[…]” is. ๐Ÿ˜›

#PrepGirl:
      I know I know… I should probably take the girl of my dreams along with me? What if she likes, you know, shopping? ๐Ÿ˜› And what about our kids? We have another jungle book in the making! (chaddi pehenke phool khila hai – a flower wearing underpants has blossomed?) Also, how do I exactly introduce him to his bear uncle (who stole my food btw) and monkey friends?

Thank you, thank you! That reality show title sounds hilarious! I should probably have a look at it! And you want to hijack John Abraham? Really? After all those allegations that he is barely straight? (Ok kidding, but I am sure I shocked you for half a second!) ๐Ÿ˜€ Beach getaways are always awesome.

#Grayquill:
      Point taken, sir! A pure adventure completely depends on one’s point of view. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for commenting!

#Indyeah:
      Thanks Indyeahji, yes, it has indeed come down to a point where we cannot go back from some of our ‘dependencies’. I love this particular (Gandhiji’s) saying. I must confess I had never heard of it!

Heh heh, thank you, thank you! You know, I had just realized that somehow your blog was never in my reader’s list… I added it now, and I am intrigued by the last two posts. Shortly, you can expect a comment or two there. ๐Ÿ™‚

#TW:
      Yup, going to the smokies! Unfortunately my leg injury is not going to allow me to scale the mountains, but I am going to try to make the best of the rest!

#Nikhil:
      Yeah, I had seen some of these videos! It is fascinating! In fact recently I learned from a friend that African countries offer similar ‘survivor camps’ that does not even provide food or water for a period of time – to teach you how to ‘survive’ in brutal forest conditions… that somewhat triggered off this post! That video link is awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Hey Nikita is right yaar.. take a girl with u.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Write a post that a girl is required for running away-cum-date.. lol
    Preposterous girlยดs latest post – STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO UNAPOLOGETIC WALKING

Lol, loved the ending. It’s crazy to think how much we really on the life we have right now, that the mere thought of just bring dropped off in a forest with nothing would make me want to cry. This reminds me of a new TV show that’s coming out called “I’m a Celebrity, Get me Out of Here!”. Corny American reality TV, but I’m sure it’ll be entertaining nonetheless. Though celebrity or not, anyone who lives a comfortable life would struggle all alone in a rain forest.

Would be nice to be able to camp out for a weekend, maybe? ๐Ÿ˜› If I could run away somewhere, it would be a beach paradise. Somewhere I could watch the sunrise & set, get massages by the beach like they do in Indonesia & Thailand, enjoy summer cocktails at a Tiki bar, the feeling of my toes sinking in the sand….oh and hijacking John Abraham to come with me. Ah, the good life. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Archanaยดs latest post – Hit the Shuffle

17. Grayquill says:

Good one. Well done.
    Someone once said, the best adventures are experienced from a book in an easy chair. Real adventure is mostly nothing but pain, suffering, and greif. But from a book in an easy chair it is pure adventure.
    Grayquillยดs latest post – My Cat Just Stopped by…

really good one!! and thought provoking too! ๐Ÿ™‚
    is it any wonder that we are where we are now?:)

Gandhiji said ”The earth has enough for man’s need not his greed..”
    And after reading your post I realized that I am greedy too …

one thing leads to another and then another and then another..and it goes on and on…

and even then I don’t want to give up quite a few of them ๐Ÿ™‚
    Indyeahยดs latest post – Yippeee!!:D

omg… ROFL!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ i love the way the first paragraph is the extreme opposite and clashes with ur second para!!

love this post… it says a lot… without having a story per se to say!
    Ashwathyยดs latest post – Mission? Impossible!

20. TW says:

u going to the smokies?!! that is awesome! they r supp to gorgeous. Have only driven thru it in the nite getting frm Nashville to Dallas ..:(
    TWยดs latest post – End of Poverty ?

21. Nikhil says:

on a more ‘is it really possible to live (exist) like this’ note, you may have heard of this discovery show “Man vs Wild”… Bear Grylls, the host and author of the show, actually goes to such inhospitable places, like the Saharas or Rain Forests, (and many more), and demonstrates raw survival techniques, which include killing animals and eating the dead carcass, making rafts out of woods, and what not…Simply beats anyone’s imagination..or stretches it should I say… Watch it, and you might wanna going back to the writing pad… (a sample 3 min video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKpnkX99z0&feature=related)

22. Arjun says:

In case you’re serious– http://wwoof.org/

Barely straight, pfffttt not a problem. I’m sure I’d be capable of converting him to completely straight. ๐Ÿ˜‰ All it would take is…(no, get your mind out of the gutter!)…a smile. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Archanaยดs latest post – Game. Set. Match!

24. mentalie says:

jest do it, kokonad, jest do it, aye say!

#Arjun:
      Thanks Arjun, and welcome to my blog! ๐Ÿ™‚ That WWOOF thing sounds great! I recently heard of a survivor camp in some African countries – and I am almost thinking of actually going ahead and doing it!

Sorry. I got to confess. My mind was indeed in the gutter. ๐Ÿ˜€

#Mentalie:
      Weel do, weel do, Mentalie… weel do. ๐Ÿ™‚

#K:
      Ah, the blow dryer… what would we men do without it? No wait… what would we men do with it?
      Well your comment has got me thinking… if we allow mankind to *develop from scratch* again in a completely natural place – how will it shape out to be? Are we looking at civilization going towards industrial revolution, or will we be looking at the Kalahari desert tribe in ‘The Gods must be crazy’? Will we be reinventing the wheel? ๐Ÿ™‚
      Thanks for commenting, K!

25. K. says:

LOL…it sounds like you would like to go to the rainforest so you can go back and reinvent the wheel!

I never fantasize about going back to nature because I know that I would just DIE…just living without my blowdryer is hardship…:)
    K.ยดs latest post – Random Quote

26. Even I longed to escape into the wilderness… And I did too for a few days.. And guess what.. I missed the hectic lifestyle!!
    Simply Ridiculousยดs latest post – Touched By His Noodly Appendage!!

27. Ankur says:

loved the picture of the fallen tree trunk ๐Ÿ™‚
    Ankurยดs latest post – Trading: It was a dogโ€™s day

28. Renu says:

Nice one ๐Ÿ™‚ Here’s Thoreau for some inspiration.

“I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life…to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

#Simply Ridiculous:
    Heh heh heh, that is SO understandable! ๐Ÿ™‚

#Ankur:
    Thanks Ankur!

#Renu:
    Thanks, Renu! That’s a really nice saying – I should read more Thoreau.
    I have a whole post waiting to be written on how much we miss out on life very often – thanks to responsibilities or laziness… by the way, have you seen the movie – “Yes Man”?

30. Renu says:

No haven’t watched it. Good?

#Renu:
    It’s not phenomenal… but it’s definitely worth watching! ๐Ÿ™‚

32. Lynn says:

It seems you all think you want to run away, but then you have a 10page of lists of items you can not live without. Its crazy!! I live in such a beautiful home with 3 TVs, all the latest electronics, nice neighbors. My kids, have everything they need and could ever want. There is just no easy way to say it, they are beyound spoiled. I grew up in the country, poor, on a working farm. My kids thinks its great when we go and visit to see all the cool stuff. And they understand that what their grandparents do allow hundreds of people to eat.
    I love my kids so much. I have threatening to remove their world and go back to the simply life. Two years ago I finally talked them into a camping trip (sortof). They only agreed if I got a cabin. I agreed. It was the most rustic cabain and down to the bare basics. Had a bedroom,family room with fireplace,tiny kitchen and tiny bathroom. Yes on electricity. BUT NO PHONES…NO TV…NO ELECTRONICS…that was a shock to their system. I wished I could have taped their reaction when they realized this….I laughted so hard. They never got upset,,,just shocked…..ANYWAY…..we ended up having a great 4days. Spending time doing things together. Enjoying nature and learning about the earth. cooking outside. WE had a blast ahd the kids ask all the time about doing it again. Which I am working on the next trip. Hopefully with less luxuries. HA!!!
    Anyway….I feel the time is now to return to a more basic way, There are so many distractions in life and it is constantly pulling the family apart. I have made a vow to change that in our family. They just don’t know it yet….BEWARE….and ….life must become simple and wonderful and less stressful!!! It is time to pull the family back together. At least thats the plan………..

thx for letting me babble on………

#Lynn:
    First of all, I apologize because of the delay in replying to the comment. For some reason, I never got a notification in my inbox for this comment.
    Welcome to my blog, and I truly appreciate the fact that you wrote such a nice comment! I am sure in years to come, your kids are going to adore you for this very reason! I feel it is really essential for someone to know what it is to live without pointless luxuries. I love cooking in the open! First cook, then cover up so bears don’t come! It’s awesome!
    I wish you good luck in your mission, Lynn! Family outings of this kind surely help a LOT. Do drop by again and tell us how it goes!

34. chelli says:

me, i’ve wanted to escape to the himalayas, and then into some forest. used to be braver earlier. but both the ideas went down the drain. actally thought i would be better off alone. but now i do not dare be alone, somehow