How old do you want to be?

It’s funny how you spend all childhood wanting to grow up, and once you grow up, you want to live your childhood all over again. Except may be teen years, when you think you are all grown up and you pretty much hate everything.

Flashforward and flashback

1. We should all hibernate
  3. Left brain, right brain and optical illusions

Filed under growing up, Thoughts in 2D

Comments

22 Responses to “How old do you want to be?”
  1. Sayontan says:

As George Costanza would say in Seinfeld:

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? Death! What’s that, a bonus?! I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you go live in an old age home. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, then, when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement. You drink alcohol, you party, and you get ready for high school. You go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back, you spend your last 9 months floating with luxuries like central heating, spa, room service on tap, then you finish off as an orgasm!
    Sayontan´s latest post – A Unique Journey – Traveling with Murphy

2. grayquill says:

Life has different stages. Each stage of our life is special and has its own uniqueness and greatness. One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was live fully in the stage you are in. Don’t yearn for the past or pine away for the future. Once you leave a stage you can never go back and it is gone forever. Live each stage with passion. But in the end – As Solomon said, “When all has been heard, fear God and keep his commandments, because this applies to every person.” – Ecclesiastics 12:13
    Fred Smith Sr. wrote, Recently I had lunch with a young man who graduated from a prestigious European university with high marks and told me he had “tested genius in thirteen areas.” Yet he had done nothing, though he was in his early thirties. Another man with a similar dilemma came to me. I asked if he were married and upon hearing that he was, I said, “You could have married six or eight girls, but you chose one. You will have to do the same with your goal.”
    The complete article here: http://www.breakfastwithfred.com/library/article/32/fit-for-mentoring/
    grayquill´s latest post – Believing…Volleyball Lessons

yep… a classic case of the grass being greener on the other side… or seeming to be so.

whats the surprise? half the time in our life, we waste our time chasing illusions. only when we get near it do we realise they were mirages…

4. Choco says:

Lolzzz…Soo true!

Well, I guess… the grass always looks greener on the other side!

P.S. You have been tagged, yet again!

Check out my latest post: “More tags… One down, 2 more to go!” for further info…
    Roshmi´s latest post – More tags… One down, 2 more to go!

So true. I feel like everyone lives life wanting something else, instead of enjoying what’s right in front of them. It actually baffles me, because I feel like kids don’t even have a childhood anymore. I know I sound like such a grandma, but ‘innocence’ is totally non-existent with the younger generation. As for the oldies with their botox/surgery/facelift/etc etc….they need a lesson on how to age gracefully. Cause it’s really not cute seeing a grandma with a tummy tuck, implants and excess botox on the face.

For some reason, men seem to deal with growing up so much better than women – at least as far as looking their age. But as for the maturity, heh, that’s debatable. :P

PS – Yay for being your 1000th comment!
    Archana´s latest post – Ladies, brace yourselves. ;)

7. adisha says:

Myself would love to be in my late 20s forever, these having been the best years of myself life so far. The rest, eeeeh, I’m willing to forget and move on .. lolzzz. But then again, the question is which age am I by heart coz my hubby says I’m like a kid now, as compared to when he’d met me… :))
    adisha´s latest post – In Vino Veritas Contest

*sigh* so very true..
    I would give anything to turn back time…

that song by Jagjit Singh says it best
    Magar mujhko lauta do bachpan woh mera….
    Indyeah´s latest post – Dilli ki kahaani

9. Nikhil says:

Brilliantly evocative graph – simple yet true!
    (PS.: How about adding a small tickbox, which says “Add as a favoutire” – a la flickr?)

10. TW says:

heheh.. i remember when I finished my last XII board exam, I had this deep sense of regret that my school days were over.. atleast you can relive some of that carefree youthful days during Masters/MBA :DD or PhD for longer ;-))
    TW´s latest post – Aargh! such nincompoops!!!!

#Sayontan:
      Ha ha ha ha ha! That is REALLY funny! Made my roommates read it – they all loved it! I think I should watch all seasons of Seinfeld… I have seen several stray episodes from here and there and really loved it!

#Grayquill:
      That’s really great insight sir! Thank you for the thoughtful comment, and for the link too! I loved this line the best: ‘You could have married six or eight girls, but you chose one. You will have to do the same with your goal.

I agree, Ashwathy. I suppose humankind thrives on chasing mirages – the one I wrote about is surely not fruitful… but in general, we chase illusions in the hope that they are not mirages, right? I suppose the resilience of man to come back from disappointment is often understated. :)

#Choco:
      Thank you! I am glad you agree! :)

Whee! Thanks for the tag yet again! I have a whole list of tags to do now! :) You know, funny you mention the phrase about the grass being greener… it was the original title of the graph!

Ha ha ha ha! :D Just when I thought you are going to eulogize how men think, I saw that take on men’s maturity! Humphh! :P
      I agree about your taken on *innocence*

#adisha:
      Ha ha ha! That’s sweet! :) Now that I think about it, I guess no one quite regrets the age of twenties… thanks for commenting!

#Indyeah:
      Indyeah ji… first of all, amazing display picture, and great interview! :) I had never heard that Jagjit Singh ghazal before, and then I did on your mentioning it… and it’s excellent!
      Btw, I curious what list you come up with for that list I created – of all things I have wanted to be in my life :)

#Nikhil:
      Thanks Nikhil! Frankly, I am not sure how to do that (like the way Blogger/Flickr does) about the checkbox, but I will definitely look into it! And your question was a compliment in itself, so thanks for that too! :D

#TW:
      Carefree PhD days? There is no such thing :P

11. Sau says:

well expressed!
    Sau´s latest post – Time to Renew

12. ajcl says:

totally! if only we had the maturity to appreciate all the lovely things that are associated with the different stages.. but then, thaz life..
    ajcl´s latest post – Namma Uru Bengaluru

13. Nikita says:

lol…m already old enuff to want my bachpan back!! :P
    i agree with the tick-box idea….do look into it! :)
    Nikita´s latest post – Shaadi And All That

Thanks a lot Kokonad :)
    I am so darn happy that you listened to that ghazal :) I thought you had already heard it !
    yeah will do that tag for sure! :) will drop a line here then :)
    Indyeah´s latest post – Dilli ki kahaani

15. So true – we always want to be on the side we are not! As a child, I was in a desperate hurry to grow up. And now all I do is recollect my Wonder years and bore others with it! ;-)
    TheThoughtfulTrain´s latest post – The Long Ride to School …

16. K says:

How true! It is so ironic that we are in a rush to grow up and then wish to be young again…great post!
    K´s latest post – Just Being Catty

lol simple n true fact of life
    another graph that come to mind …how old u are vs how old u say u are , esp for women….(it becomes a straight line after 35 :)

@sayantan: thanks for putting that up. very well put :)

Sau:
    Thank you Madaanji! I am glad you didn’t drown in the ocean, btw! :)

AJCL:
    Heh heh… :) I am glad you agree!

Nikita:
    Yup, I have found what I have needed… I will try to put it up by later tonight or over the weekend. :) Thanks!

Indyeahji:
    If I had 100 bucks for the number of times I have typed of India instead of Indyeah, I would be shoulder to shoulder with Bill Gates a very rich paan waala! :) Who, btw in Baroda are flourishing in wealth! Looking forward to your post!

TheThoughtfulTrain:
    Welcome to my blog, TTT! :) I am glad you agree!

K:
    Thank you, thank you! :)

Debleena:
    You won’t believe, while I was making this one, I was thinking of exactly that, except that it was 39 and not 35 :P

19. I think we become kids back again, during old age. But for other reasons, that age doesn’t have the glam quotient!

Destination Infinity
    Destination Infinity´s latest post – Ich Will

#Destination Infinity:
    Heh heh, well put! It indeed does not have the glam quotient!

21. chelli says: