© 2010 . All rights reserved. DSC_5322

Royal treatment

This is a broom. A very artfully crafted one, with a hand carved shaft and pretty head of bristles, made with what looks like grain and dried strands. It’s so beautiful that I would probably never sweep with it. Taken at the Center County Arts Fest, 2010 held in State College, Pennsylvania. One of my favorite photography events every year, and it’s a photographer’s delight because there is no dearth of art and creativity. Imagine the broom so expensive and elegant, that we never actually use it, and make sure that it itself stays clean. The broom-that-will-never-be-used-as-one got me thinking about how we treat certain objects in our daily lives. Another example is the dining table. Sunmica is used to prevent the spoiling the wood of the table top. The table cloth is used to keep the sunmica safe from spills. An additional transparent plastic sheet is used to keep the table cloth from getting dirty. To keep the plastic table cloth safe, we use table mats. Of which there are regular, and fancy, the latter of which come out for guests only. :)

7 Comments

1. Ipsa
    Posted 8 Jan ’11 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Good food for thought. Two things I thought about..
    1. Form over function. It’s a broom if you describe it by it’s function. It’s a piece of art by virtue of its excellent form. So it very well deserves royal treatment for its beauty and craftsmanship!
    2. I would use it. Granted, I’d be hesitant to because I’d love it so much. But still. There’s a statement here against ‘Taylorism’ and the culture of mass production we’ve become accustomed to. If we truly cherished things, we’d go for fewer and better things over disposable and dime a dozen ones, which arguably would make us less wasteful.
    And that is why Arts Fest rocks. :)

• Posted 9 Jan ’11 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Ipsa: I completely agree :) With everything you said. Some people call it futile to attach sentiments with certain objects, but I think that’s what makes mankind stop and smell the roses, appreciate the small things in life, and keep fond memories.

2. Posted 26 Jan ’11 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

love the tones n texture n the bokeh…u know this pic reminds of a quote i read somewhere…”Look closely enough at the world and even the most ordinary things become extraordinary-Anonymus” n yes i collect quotes … i use them as description for my creative captures :D

• Posted 29 Jan ’11 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Rads: That is a wonderful quote! And I believe that it is the lifeline of so many creative fronts of art!

3. Posted 2 Feb ’11 at 9:06 am | Permalink

I give this great shot 1 points out of 5!

Did you achieve at least 20 points for this photo? (Only the first five awards are valid.)
    Then you are invited to the "Hall of Fame" – please post your photo in our 20+ Invitation Thread
    (xx points = 3 points)

4. Posted 2 Feb ’11 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I give this great shot 3 points out of 5!

(xx points = 3 points)

5. Posted 2 Feb ’11 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I give this great shot 4 points out of 5!

(xx points = 3 points)